Thursday, January 27, 2011

Jocelyn's Felt Playhouse

I sewed Jocelyn a felt playhouse for Christmas, and boy was it a hit!!! I made this for probably about $30 total, but with all the time and effort I put into it I think it was worth well over $200. I sewed morning, noon, and night for over 2 weeks. But it was definitely worth it!! She loved it, and so do the rest of the kids. Now on to the tour....
Welcome to Jocleyn's house....one of my favorite things is the apple tree. I love how it turned out!! I'm going to probably make some lemons and even some oranges for it. The apples are all removable with velcro on them.
Here's a cute little basket that she puts the picked apples into....
The mail box, complete with a working door.....
The cute flowers, that she can remove. I twisted some pipe cleaners together and then twisted the ends up so they wouldn't poke through the felt to make the stems bendable. If I were to do this again I would probably use double the amount of pipe cleaners or maybe a heavy craft wire to make them a little stiffer.
Here's a sampling of the fruits and veggies I made. Squash, pumpkins, apples, lettuce, carrots, potatoes and corn. Don't ya just love the basket weaving I did to make the corn. I found this idea on another blog.....
The garden side... I used quilt batting to make the sun puffier, and wished I would have done the same to the clouds. Everything is "pick able" and is used to "stock" the farmers market.....
The farmers market......I should have made the window smaller, the kids tend to use it as a entrance and exit. The open/closed sign can be reversed when playing. Jocelyn asked me where the money was. I guess I need to make here some felt money too.....
Cute little bag that is attached with velcro so she can shop.....
Post office........
Letters complete with removable stamps that I made......The letters are made to Grandmas, and Grandpas, and Aunt Crystal.
The big mail box has a slit/pocket to put the letters in...
Things I discovered while making this.......
*I love, love, love printer fabric!!!! It made making the letters, signs, and stamps sooo easy!!!
*I actually love to sew. Ya, I may have said a few choice words with sewing this project, but it felt so rewarding that I made it.
*Felt is fun!!! While making this I found so many other fun projects I want to make for the kids. Next on my list a quiet book for Benny boy.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

WOW, I am very impressed! You're officially amazing! :)

Jessica said...

You. Are. A-MAH-ZIIINNNGGG!!!!!!

thehaucks said...

Absolutely AMAZING and ADORABLE!! I'm seriously impressed. SUPERMOM!