Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Christmas Candy

I've been making my Christmas candy the past few days. I really forgot over the past year how boring it is to sit and stir carmels over the hot stove, for an hour. I do however enjoy making it. I'm so glad for my mom's talents, and for teaching me how to be such a great cook. I remember at a young age my mom canning, but most of all making Christmas candy. She would sit on a bar stool and stir, and stir. It soon became a family tradition, when I got older, and we each had to take a 10 minute turn stirring. I also remember making mint balls, orange balls, and butter rum balls. They were all covered in chocolate. Us kids would sneak in the storage room, and pick at the bottoms until we found a mint! They are my favorite, and the only ones I make. I'm so greatful for my mom, my grandma, and great-grandma, and I'm sure many other grandmothers who passed these recipes down to one another. And I can't wait until I can pass them down to my children.(I also can't wait till they are old enough to stir them too :))

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I think alot of people are thankful you are a good cook at Christmas Time! I know alot of people who look forward to all of your yummy candy....Tim namely..he loves your caramels. The butter rum balls sound yummy too!

Courtney Moss & Family said...

yummy! you shouls poast receipes and picks...something to think about?!

Courtney Moss & Family said...

WOW I really can type, I PROMISE! Were you able to translate that post...YIKES!

bryan and megan said...

I love this time of year!! That is a tradition in my family too. We always make a whole bunch of different cookies and candy and then deliver it to friends, family, and neighbors. Now that Bryan and I are married, I have to add to it though. His mom always does cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning, so every Christmas Eve I spend my afternoon making these cinnamon rolls just for him. They are not like normal cinnamon rolls with the frosting, they are a plain roll that they like to be a little bit hard because they dip it in hot chocolate or pero. Not my favorite. But I do it anyway!!!! =)

The life of Jayne said...

You are awesome! That is so great that you can make such yummy stuff!