Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Kennedy and The Election, Kaden Too

Kennedy was so eager to watch T.V. last night. She came home for school and said, "Mom, that's my homework, I have to watch the T.V." What 8 year old wouldn't be excited to have that as homework.
So they watched(her, and Kaden) for maybe 10 minutes. The whole time saying" Is it over yet? Did Mcain win, or did Obama? Mom this is kinda boring." Then they exited the room, and came back a little while later to ask the same questions and say the same thing. Then it was bed time, in which Kennedy replied to, "But, mom, my homework isn't done, it's not over yet."
"Well, mom's know best, and I don't think you teacher would appreciate me letting you stay up late." I replied back.
So off to bed she went, but not very happily(but what child does?) Then the next morning I hear the Kennedy saying, "Obama won, Kaden"
"How do you know, you don't know mom isn't even up, and she said she would tell us in the morning"
"It said it, on my radio, I know Kaden"
"No, you don't!!!"
"I do too."
This then prompted me to crawl out of bed, and break up a fight.

So now fast forward to after school.
"Hey, mom" Kennedy says
"What?"
"Mom. Harleigh doesn't have to move to Mexico, Obama won!!! I'm so glad she gets to stay here."
"That's good Kennedy I'm glad that your Friend doesn't have to move."
The beginning of this story is, Kennedy came home a few weeks ago from school, telling me that if McCain wins the election, Harleigh said that her dad told her they would be moving to Mexico. She was devastated that her friend would have to move, and that all her friends would leave her. One of the other kids said they would be going to Canada.
I really got a kick out of this, but my poor little girl thought that it was no laughing matter, and it caused many tears. So, now I have a happy girl cause her friend doesn't have to move.
I think that this is also funny, because growing up, my parents didn't really talk politics to us, we never had a clue who they were voting for. It's funny what impressions the kids get from their parents. Kennedy told me she was sorry that McCain didn't win because I voted for him, but I had to explain, that who ever the next President would be we would support, and hope that he can help our country.
By, they way, Way to go all you Arizonans!!! We passed prop 102!!! Yes, to marriage!!!

2 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

How cute! It's neat that she was so involved with the elections--even if she didn't quite understand everything. :) And good thing her friends are not moving... :) hehehee

Ivy & Mae said...

little kids and politics are so funny.

I remember having a discussion about Bush (sr) v. Dukakis (sp?) with Nicole Holm in '88! We were 8 years old!