Friday, July 25, 2008

There's Gold in Them There Hills

After Cris and I split up I headed to my mom's house. After a day of cooking (well I should say baking since we made three different batches of yummy cookies to take to the Clark Family Reunion. And I wonder why I gained some weight while on vacation.) my, mom, me, Jocleyn, Cole, and Maria and Andrew headed up to Virginia City MT to meet my brother David and his wife Kristie which I hadn't seen in three years. They were on vacation also and were camping there for a few days. If you don't know anything about Virginia City or it's neighboring town, Nevada City, they are towns that were booming during the big gold rush. Most of the buildings that are there now have been brought in from all around Montana to make a little town. Virginia City is the big one that people live and work in.(basically for the tourism) Nevada City is smaller and I think that no one lives there unless the people who own the little motel in which you can rent out old little one roomed cabins live there. Here is a web site you can go to. I'm sure it's more informative than I am. http://www.virginiacitymt.com/ You can ride a small little train from the one town to the next (just don't get caught in the rain. It's open top and is ran by a little engine and I do mean little since it's basically ran by unleaded fuel and a lawn mower engine. So maybe I'm exaggerating. But it can't make it up the little tiny hill when it rains, cause the tracks get to slippery. So we ended up having to be shuttled back to our car.) We also panned for gold in Nevada City which was the highlight for the kids. That night we stayed at the KOA my brother was staying at. I had to put up the tent which and never been opened. Thank goodness David was there and it went up in no time. It was alot of fun!! Here are alot of pictures.
Main street Nevada City

The little ones looking in a building that Sydnie named "Mary Poppins house"
How many kids can you fit in a out house. They all just had to go, look at the strain on Hunters face. Cole, Sydine, Hunter, Cooper, Andrew, and Jocelyn.

Panning for Gold and Garnets. Here they are leaning how to sift out the big rocks.

Leaning how to pan the gold to get the rest of the rocks and sand out.

Cole and Jocelyn hard at work finding garnets.

Say cheese! Cole wasn't to happy about the picture op and I'm not sure what Jocelyn is doing.

Everyone showing off their gold and garnets. Together we all made about 10 or 12 dollars worth of gold flakes. Yipee!!!

Cooper showing Cole how to fish at the KOA

Stay tunned for the Clark Family Reunion slide show.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fun place for a vacation!