Monday, November 12, 2007

A Family of Hernias

So, I just have to vent a little in this post. Half of the six of us in our family have hernias. Cole actually had three but we had two repaired when he was 5 months old.( he was born with two inguinal hernias) Now he just had his umbilical hernia. Jocelyn also has a umbilical hernia, and guess who also has a umbilical hernia......ME!!! See what child bearing can do to ya. You know how your belly button pokes out when you are pregnant well, mine never went back in. It's never really bothered me, except when I was pregnant with Cole it would be sore every now and again. Well today it hurt sooo bad when I was running, that I had to stop. It felt like someone punched me in the stomach. So I guess it is time to take a time out and take care of myself. I called a surgeon and they can't get me in untill December. I'm not to happy about it cause they really didn't give me any advice on it. They told me, "well if it hurts while you are exercising again, stop and take it easy." Hello lady, I just told you I'm trying to train for a marathon. So do I need to stop or not. I got very vague answers. So I will try to run again tomorrow and see what happens. She also told me to buy a hernia belt to use while exercising. Ugh!! I guess I shouldn't have put this off for so long, I was wanting to wait till I ran my marathon, to have surgery. So now the whole marathon is up in the air. Oh, what to do???

2 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

OOh! Tough call! Good luck with that--I don't envy your situation!

The life of Jayne said...

Do you know how long you will have to be off your feet after the surgery? Its a good thing you have been so healthy and running, since I have heard that people in good shape, have an easier time healing.Good luck, keep us posted!